The New Boston Fire Department is asking for your support to approve a bond (Article 5) in the amount of $2,750,000 at Town Voting Day on March 10, 2020, the 4th time this proposal is on the ballot.
This bond will fund the construction of a new 10,264 square feet, 5-bay Fire Station (including site work and soft costs) on town-owned land adjacent to the Post Office.
This station will also include a much needed 1,080 square foot training room and necessary office space for our department staff.
New Station Goals:
- Build a practical, spacious structure that meets all current codes, regulations and environmental requirements.
- Create a safe, healthy environment for our firefighters/EMTs and helps with
our recruit/retention efforts.
- Save tax dollars with a building that supports standardized apparatus.
- Provides a facility we can all be proud of, one which may be added on to when needed and will serve our community for the next 40-50 years!
Changes from the 2019 Proposal:
- In response to taxpayers’ concerns and rising construction costs, the Fire Wards have reduced the cost of this year’s plan by $239,000 by reusing furniture and postponing finishing parts of the station that won’t affect response time.
- Unfinished areas can be finished later via
fund-raising and/or volunteer help.
- The net cost of the 2020 proposal is $50,000 less than last year’s plan, and will likely be further reduced with anticipated grants
(which can be applied for once approved).